Employee Card

An employee card is a type of long-term residence permit that enables third countries citizens to stay and work legally in the Czech Republic for a period longer than 3 months.





Who can apply for this type of residence permit?

You can apply for an employee card if you are a third country citizen. An employee card can be obtained for all kinds of employment regardless of the required education and qualification.

How long is this type of residence permit valid for?

Always for a maximum period of 2 years. The validity can be restricted in particular to:

  • the duration of the employment; or
  • the validity of the work permit; or
  • the period of time established in the decision on a work or vocational training permit issued by a recognition authority. 

What does this type of residence permit look like?

What obligations and restrictions does this residence permit mean?

You must fulfil the purpose of your stay for the whole duration of your residence permit. You must also follow the obligations for foreigners stipulated by law.

If you wish to change your employer, work position or you wish to start another work position with the same or another employer, you must report it to the Ministry of the interior.

If you finish your employment and you do not have free access to the labour market, within 60 days you must report the start of new employment or apply for a new long-term residence permit in the Czech Republic for a different purpose, otherwise, your employee card will expire.

What does this residence permit enable you to do?

If you hold a valid residence permit, you can leave and re-enter the Czech Republic repeatedly. You can also travel within the Schengen Area without a visa.

You can stay and work legally in the Czech Republic for the duration of your residence permit.

Can you apply for this residence permit even if you have no long-term visa or residence permit in the Czech Republic?

Yes, if you apply at a diplomatic mission.