Long-term Residence Permit in the Czech Republic for the Purpose of Studies

A long-term residence for the purpose of studies is a type of residence permit for stays longer than 90 days intended for third countries nationals who want to study in the Czech Republic.





Who can apply for this residence permit?

You can apply for a long-term residence for the purpose of studies if the form of your studies correspond with the Section 64 of Act No. 326/1999 Coll. The most frequent cases are the following:

  • Studies of a university accredited study programme.
  • Attendance of a language and professional preparation for studies of a university accredited study programme (organised by a public university, as part of an EU programme or based on an international agreement).
  • Secondary school or higher vocational studies carried out as part of an exchange programme.

Here you can find all the instances considered by law as studies.

How long is this residence permit valid for?

It can be valid for as long as 1 year, in cases laid down in law for as long as 2 years.

What does a residence permit look like?

What obligations and restrictions does this residence permit mean?

You must fulfil the purpose of your stay for the whole duration of your residence permit. You must also follow the obligations for foreigners stipulated by law.

What does this residence permit enable you to do?

If you hold a valid residence permit, you can leave and re-enter the Czech Republic repeatedly. You can also travel within the Schengen Area without a visa.

If you are staying in the Czech Republic for the purpose of studies, you can work here without an additional permit (free access to the labour market).

Can you apply for this residence permit even if you have no long-term visa or residence permit in the Czech Republic?

Yes, if you hold a long-term residence permit for the purpose of studies issued by another EU Member State or a long-term visa issued for the purpose of studies by another EU member state (except for Ireland and Denmark). You can also apply for the permit at one of the Czech Republic’s diplomatic missions.