Permanent Residence Permit for the Purpose of Family Reunification (Child of a Foreign National with a Permanent Residence Permit)

Minor foreign nationals (i.e. foreigners under 18 years of age) who are children of foreigners with a permanent residence permit in the Czech Republic can apply for a permanent residence permit without having to meet the requirement of previous residence in the Czech Republic if the purpose of their application is family reunification with their parents in the Czech Republic. Applicants must apply at one of the Czech Republic’s diplomatic missions abroad. It is possible to apply in the Czech Republic only under the conditions stipulated by law.





Who can apply for this residence permit?

A child or a child’s legal representative (most frequently one of the parents) can apply for a permanent residence permit for the purpose of family reunification under the following conditions:

  • At least one of the parents holds a valid permanent residence permit.
  • The child is under 18 years of age.
  • The purpose of residence is family reunification of the foreigners in the Czech Republic.

How long is this residence permit valid for?

The permanent residence permit’s validity is not limited in time, only the permit document’s validity is. A permanent residence permit document is issued for 10 years, in the case of foreign nationals under 15 years of age for 5 years. The validity of the document can be extended repeatedly.

What does this residence permit look like?

What obligations does this residence permit mean?

If you hold a permanent residence permit, you must follow the obligations for foreigners stipulated by law.

What does this residence permit enable you to do?

If you hold a valid residence permit, you can leave and re-enter the Czech Republic repeatedly. You can also travel within the Schengen Area without a visa.

As permanent residence permit holders, you also have free access to the labour market, access to the public medical insurance and a right to social welfare benefits. You can also receive a retirement pension.