Permanent Residence Permit for Holders of a Blue Card Issued by Another EU Country

Another EU Member State’s blue card holders can apply after 5 years of continuous residence in the Member States based on a blue card for a permanent residence permit.





Who can apply for this residence permit?

You can apply for a permanent residence permit for another EU Member State’s blue card holders if you meet all the following conditions:

  • As a blue card holder, you have resided continuously in the EU Member States for at least 5 years.
    • As a blue card holder, you have resided continuously in the Czech Republic for at least 2 years.
    • Blue card holder’s absences from the EU Member States also count towards the continuous residence period provided that individual periods of absence were not longer than 12 consecutive months and altogether were not longer than 18 months.

These rules apply also to the blue card holders’ family members who were issued with a long-term residence permit for the purpose of family reunification.

How long is this residence permit valid for?

The permanent residence permit’s validity is not limited in time, only the permit document’s validity is. A permanent residence permit document is issued for 10 years, in the case of foreign nationals under 15 years of age for 5 years. The validity of the document can be extended repeatedly.

What does this residence permit look like?

What obligations does this residence permit mean?

If you hold a permanent residence permit, you must follow the obligations for foreigners stipulated by law.

What does this residence permit enable you to do?

If you hold a valid residence permit, you can leave and re-enter the Czech Republic repeatedly. You can also travel within the Schengen Area without a visa.

As permanent residence permit holders, you also have free access to the labour market, access to the public medical insurance and a right to social welfare benefits. If you meet the requirements laid down in Pension Act, you can also receive a retirement pension.