Employee Card – Change of Employment
FREE ACCESS TO THE LABOUR MARKET
WITHOUT FREE ACCESS
If you hold an employee card and you want to change your employer, work position or start another position with your current employer or another employer, you must report the change to the Ministry of the Interior. The procedure differs based on whether you have free access to the labour market or not, or whether you were issued a work permit.
How do I find out if I have free access to the labour market?
Most frequently, students, pedagogical and academic workers, and scientists have free access to the labour market in the Czech Republic. You can find a comprehensive definition on the website focused on free access to the labour market.
If you have free access to the labour market:
You can report the change after you have started the new employment.This also applies if you work under a work permit issued by the Labour Office. For more information please click here.
If you do not have free access to the labour market:
You must report the change before starting the new employment.You can start new employment or a new work position:
- After you or your employer have received a written Notification of Compliance. The Ministry will inform you this way whether you have met or not the requirements stipulated by law.
- At the earliest on the date stated in your form. Even in the case that the Notification of Compliance has been received sooner.
For more information please click here.
What changes related to employment do you have to report to the Ministry of the Interior?
- Change of employer.
- Change of work position with the same employer.
- Another work position with the same or another employer.
- When you have terminated your employment and then you want to return to the same position with the same employer. By having terminated the employment, the vacancy ceased to exist and you must report a change of employer.
- Change of place of work if the new place of work is situated in another municipality. Examples:
- A change of place of work from Prague 3 to Prague 7: this is not a change which needs to be reported to the Ministry of the Interior.
- A change of place of work from Prague 3 to Mladá Boleslav: this is a change of work position and as such it needs to be reported to the Ministry of the Interior.
What changes related to employment do you not have to report to the Ministry of the Interior?
- Change of employer’s name. It is recommended to report such a change to the Ministry of the Interior, although it is not assessed whether you meet requirements or not.
- The so-called business succession: If the rights and obligations of one employer were transferred to another one (e.g. as a result of the sale of the company or of its part) but the nature of the work positions has not changed. It is not a change of employer or work position if the type and the place of your work are the same and only the name of the employer has changed.
- Business trips: You can go on a business trip if it is in line with the nature of the work for which your employee card has been issued.
- Home office: An agreement to work from outside the employer’s workplace if the nature of the work allows it.
- Rise in salary if the nature of work remains the same.
- Change of the number of working hours (e.g. from 40 to 20 hours a week) if you work at least 15 hours a week.
- If, besides your current work, you also lead a group of other workers now.
- If you are a pregnant employee assigned different work under Section 41(1c) of Act No. 262/2006 Sb. (the Labour Code).