Reasons for Revoking a Temporary Residence Permit of an EU Citizen’s Family Member
The Ministry of the Interior will revoke your temporary residence permit of an EU citizen’s family member if:
- you apply for it,
- your marriage or partnership with the EU citizen has ended,
- as a child you have reached 21 years of age,
- your child or the EU citizen’s child has reached 21 years of age,
- you no longer live together with an EU citizen in the Czech Republic,
- a serious reason stipulated by the law appears.
If the Ministry revokes your temporary residence permit of an EU citizen’s family member in the Czech Republic for one of the above-mentioned reasons, it also sets a time limit for you to leave the country within 60 days from the date the final decision to revoke the temporary residence permit has become effective.
During this time limit, you can apply for a long-term residence permit (e.g. an employee card) or a permanent residence permit if you have resided in the Czech Republic continuously for 5 years. If you have applied within the given time limit, during the time your application is being processed, you are staying in the Czech Republic legally (for more information please see the section Fiction of residence).
If you are no longer an EU citizen’s family member, your temporary residence permit will not be revoked if you meet one of the following requirements:
- you do not live with an EU citizen but you take care of a child you have together while he/she receives education,
- an EU citizen has passed away and you as a family member have resided in the Czech Republic for 1 year before his/her death,
- your marriage to an EU citizen was ended by a final court decision and at the same time the marriage had lasted at least 3 years and during the marriage you had had a residence permit for at least 1 year or you have been given (joint) custody of your child,
- your partnership with an EU citizen ended and you have been given the custody of your child – that you have together, or the EU citizen’s child. This also applies if you have been granted a right to visit the child regularly in the Czech Republic,
- you or another family member have suffered domestic violence which was the reason why you stopped living together with an EU citizen in the Czech Republic.