Filing an Application at a Diplomatic Mission other than the Country of Origin

Under certain circumstances is possible to file an application for a residence permit at a Diplomatic Mission office in a different country from your country of origin.

Filing such an application is governed by the so called territorial consular competence. Under its provisions third-country nationals can file their applications at the Diplomatic Mission of the state, of whom they are citizens, eventually at a following Diplomatic Missions:

  • In the state, which has issued their travel document, or
  • In the state, where they have a long-term or permanent residence permit.

The rule of territorial consular competence does not apply to you, if you are a citizen of countries stated in the edict of the Ministry of the Interior no. 429/2010 Coll. Citizens of these countries can file their applications at any Diplomatic Mission. The list of these countries is published on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.